Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cool comic find!


In the nearly 30 years that I have been buying, selling and collecting comic books (holy mackerel that's a long time) I have bought countless collections. Some small, some large, some really large. Everytime I get one I inevitably come across something in there that I either did not realize was in there when I bought it or didn't think much of it. Sometimes it is weird stuff like the early 70s Mr Spock Christmas card or the tons of little notes and other odd pieces of paper people tend to tuck away with their collections. Sometimes it is not good and it is hidden damage on the inside of the comics that I did not see until it was too late (that is another blog entry down the road.) Sometimes it is just an item or two that I did not know was in the collection, which is what happened this month.

I picked up a collection of comics that were primarily from the 80s and up. Nothing spectacular, maybe a few goodies here and there but overall a standard collection of fairly recent comics and graphic novels. Well, as I was going through one of the boxes with some magazines in them I came across a coverless golden age Batman comic. I couldn't tell what issue it was right away because the first two pages (wraps) were also missing. Needless to say that this greatly reduced the value, but it is a golden age Batman so even without a cover or the first two pages it still is worth something. Well, after a little research - and a little help from www.comics.org - I figured out that it was a copy of Batman number 5! An actually copy of the fifth issue of Batman! In my possession, owned by me! I have had countless golden age comics, most of which were from after 1945 with a few from earler but I have never had a Batman this early!

Having an issue of Batman that old, even after doing this for thirty years just gives me a thrill!

Here is a picture of this beauty!

1 comment:

  1. Please check you Comic Collector Live email account for order #46269.

    ReplyDelete